Salisbury Steak Meatballs. Beef meatballs smothered in a delicious homemade gravy! Pure comfort food!
These Salisbury Steak Meatballs are the ultimate comfort food. Tender homemade beef meatballs smothered in a delicious beef gravy.
To the meatballs I add panko breadcrumbs, fresh parsley, ketchup, dijon and worcestershire sauce. Then I simply brown the meatballs in a hot skillet and let them cook the rest of the way in the gravy.
For the gravy I start by caramelizing the onions. This adds so much flavor and is worth the couple extra minutes of time. After the onions are caramelized I make a simple roux of butter and flour. I whisk in the beef broth to form a thick gravy. Next I add the meatballs back to the pan and let them finish cooking in the gravy.
Serve these amazing Swedish Meatballs on top of egg noodles or mashed potatoes!! Enjoy!
Salisbury Steak Meatballs
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 4 tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups beef stock
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Add beef, breadcrumbs, egg, mustard, ketchup and worcestershire sauce to a large bowl. Combine with your hands or a large spoon.
- Roll into 1½ inch meatballs.
- Heat oil in a large skillet. Working in batches add meatballs and brown on both sides, 2 minutes per side. (They will finish cooking in the sauce)
- Remove the meatballs and set aside.
- Add onions to the same skillet and cook over medium heat until light brown and caramelized 5-10 minutes. (You can add more oil or a splash of water if the onions are getting too brown)
- Add the butter to the skillet with the onions and melt.
- Next add in the garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the flour to the skillet and whisk until it forms a thick paste. Cook for 1 minute whisking constantly.
- Slowly pour in the beef broth until it forms a thick gravy.
- Add in worcestershire and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Return the meatballs back to the pan.
- Simmer for 3-4 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked through. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve immediately over egg noodles or mashed potatoes with fresh parsley for garnish.