Gluten Free Zucchini Noodles tossed with Blistered Tomatoes, Homemade Pesto and Toasted Pine nuts. A quick and healthy meal that takes only 20 minutes to make!
My Zucchini “Pasta” with Tomato Sauce was such a hit and has become one of my top recipes on this site. So I thought I’d share another zucchini noodle recipe with you guys today. This recipe uses up a lot of summertime produce and herbs. We have a ton of fresh basil and cherry tomatoes in the garden which I put to good use in this recipe.
If you haven’t made zucchini noodles yet you are missing out. They are low calorie, gluten free and vegetarian! They are a great replacement to pasta and can take on any flavor you add to them.
To make the zucchini pasta you need a Vegetable Slicer. This cuts the zucchini into thick or thin strips with a few turns of the zucchini. A mandolin would also work great for this. I like to leave the skin on the zucchini for color and added fiber.
Zucchini has a lot of moisture inside and tends to make the sauce watery if you don’t get the excess moisture out. I like to sprinkle a little salt on the noodles and let them sit in a colander for 15 minutes. Toss a couple times and squeeze out any excess moisture.
I tossed the zucchini noodles in my 5 Ingredient Pesto. If you don’t have basil or pine nuts feel free to substitute different herbs and nuts. The best thing about this pesto is that you will have some leftover. That means more pesto for eggs, sandwiches and bread.
Blistering tomatoes is one of my favorite ways to serve cherry tomatoes. They make an awesome side dish or a nice addition to pastas. Searing the tomatoes over high heat brings out their sweetness and makes them tender, soft and caramelized on the outside.
Before serving I top off the noodles with a sprinkle of toasted pine nuts and torn mozzarella cheese.
Love the Zucchini Noodles with Blistered Tomatoes and Pesto? Here are some more healthy dinners to try:
- 15 Minute Creamy Avocado Pasta
- Zucchini “Pasta” with Tomato Sauce
- Easy Pan Fried Salmon with Lemon Dill Butter
Zucchini Noodles with Blistered Tomatoes and Pesto
- 2 zucchinis cut into thin noodles
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes whole
- 1/4 cup mozzarella torn
- 1/4 cup pinenuts
- 2 tablespoons <a href="https://chefsavvy.com/recipes/5-ingredient-homemade-pesto-plus-15-pesto-recipes/" target="_blank" data-mce-href="https://chefsavvy.com/recipes/5-ingredient-homemade-pesto-plus-15-pesto-recipes/">pesto</a>
- Place zucchini noodles in a colander and sprinkle with salt.
- Let the zucchini sit for 10 minutes and squeeze out any extra moisture. Set aside.
- Add oil to a large skillet over high heat.
- Add cherry tomatoes to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes until caramelized on the outside and tender. If they are burning turn the heat down a bit. Set aside.
- In another skillet, toast pine nuts (with no oil) until lightly browned on the outside. Do not burn.
- You can serve these noodles either warm or cold.
- To serve this dish cold toss the noodles, tomatoes, mozzarella, toasted pine nuts and pesto together. Serve immediately or place in the refrigerator to chill.
- To serve warm add 1/2 tablespoon olive oil to a skillet (you can use the one you toasted pine nuts in or cooked tomatoes) Add in noodles and cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through. Toss in pesto and tomatoes and cook for 1-2 additional minutes to heat through. Take off of the heat and sprinkle with mozzarella and toasted pine nuts. Serve immediately.
Original recipe from chefsavvy.com. Please do not publish my recipe or pictures without linking back to the original post. Thank you!