Italian Meatball Soup loaded with vegetables, beef meatballs and Italian broth. A super satisfying and hearty soup!
Thank you US Potato Board for sponsoring this post! All opinions and text are my own.
I don’t normally like to do two soup recipes in one week but this soup is so good it’s worth it! This Italian Meatball Soup is loaded with vegetables and homemade beef meatballs in a savory Italian broth!
With this soup I combined two of my favorites: beef vegetable soup and meatballs. It’s a hearty, filling soup that’s perfect for this time of year.
I added potatoes to this soup instead of pasta. Potatoes are a good substitute for pasta because of their health benefits. Potatoes are loaded with fiber, protein and vitamin C. They even have as much potassium as a banana!
As for the homemade meatballs. They are super cheesy and tender. I saute them in a hot pan for only a couple of minutes on each side to get a nice crust and tons of flavor. They finish cooking in the soup which makes them super tender and also flavors the broth.
If you are short on time you can always substitute frozen or premade turkey or beef meatballs.
Best of all everything is made in one pot. I brown my meatballs, take them out of the pan and saute my veggies. Beef broth and diced tomatoes get added in and brought to a simmer. Let the soup cook for 30 minutes and add in the meatballs. Allow them to cook for an additional 10-20 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
Serve this soup with fresh basil and parmesan cheese. I also recommend a side of garlic bread for soaking up the broth!
Italian Meatball Soup
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 medium carrots, diced
- 3 stalks of celery, diced
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1 (15 ounce) can fire roasted tomatoes, undrained
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- salt and pepper
- parmesan cheese for serving, if desired
- basil for serving, if desired
- Add ground beef, breadcrumbs, cheese, egg and Italian seasoning to a large bowl. Mix to combine and portion into small / medium size meatballs.
- Meanwhile heat oil in a large pot.
- Add meatballs making sure not to over crowd the pan. (I had to do two batches).
- Cook on medium high heat for 3-4 minutes on each side.
- Take meatballs out of the pan.
- Add in onion, carrots, celery and potatoes. Sauté for 3-4 minutes. (If there is not enough leftover oil from the meatballs add some more in.)
- Add in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Stir in broth, tomatoes, seasoning, bay leaves and Worcestershire sauce.
- Bring to a boil then simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add meatballs back to the soup and cook for an additional 15 minutes or until the meatballs are cooked all the way through and the potatoes are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve hot with parmesan cheese and basil if desired.