No Bake 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Balls. Loaded with old fashioned oats, peanut butter and flax seeds. These Energy Balls are a healthy protein packed breakfast or snack!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Bites
These energy balls are no bake, super easy to make and take less than 10 minutes to put together. Loaded with protein, fiber and healthy fats to keep you full and loaded with energy throughout the day. Made with only 5 ingredients: peanut butter, old fashioned oats, flax seed, honey and chocolate chips. Everything gets combined in one bowl. Best of all you never have to turn on the oven.
You may have heard of these referred to as energy balls, lactation bites or protein bites. Either way they are a healthy 5 ingredient pick me up that is the perfect on the go snack to give you energy throughout the day.
It’s hard to believe these 5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Bites are healthy. They taste more like dessert than a healthy protein bite. They also make a great breakfast or dessert when you are craving something sweet!
5 star rating
“These are amazing! I make these balls all the time because I’m that obsessed with peanut butter. Always switching up the ingredients to give it a new kick 🙂” – Karen
why you’ll love these energy balls
The best things about this energy bites recipe is that it is super versatile. If you do not have flax seed on hand substitute wheat germ. Try dark chocolate chips instead of semi-sweet. Add in shredded coconut, cranberries or cocoa powder.
These Peanut Butter Energy Bites could easily pass as dessert. My batch lasted less than 24 hours. They are the perfect mix between a granola bar and cookie dough. Great to curb the afternoon munchies and the dreaded mid afternoon energy slump. If your craving chocolate try my Chocolate Peanut Butter Energy Bites!
You can even freeze these oatmeal energy bites if you don’t eat them all within a week. Here’s what you’ll need to make these No Bake Energy Bites:
- Creamy Peanut Butter: Helps to bind the energy bites together. You can also use your favorite nut butter as well!
- Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips: I love using mini chocolate chips if I have them on hand. Dark chocolate chunks are also amazing in this!
- Old Fashioned Oats: I prefer to use old fashioned oats or rolled oats in this recipe. I would not recommend making these with steel cut oats or instant oats. If you want to keep these bites gluten free make sure to use certified gluten free oats!
- Ground Flax Seed: Adds a boost of fiber and nutrients. If you don’t have flax seed on hand substitute hemp seed, chia seed or add extra old fashioned oats.
- Honey: Adds the perfect amount of sweetness to these energy balls. Agave can be used in place of the honey.
how to make energy balls
To make these peanut butter chocolate chip energy bites simply combine all 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll. Roll into 12 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.
Tips for making energy bites
- Always try rolling the bites after they have been refrigerated. This makes rolling them so much easier. If you are still having trouble rolling them try wetting your hands or adding 1 or 2 tablespoons of water to the mixture.
- Instead of rolling out into balls the mixture can be placed in a square baking dish lined with parchment paper. Refrigerate and cut to make no bake energy bars!
- Substitute the chocolate: Dark Chocolate Chips, White Chocolate Chips, Cocoa Nibs or Peanut Butter Chips
- Shredded Unsweetened Coconut
- Dried fruits: Cranberries or Dried Blueberries
- Add dates to naturally sweeten these energy bites or try my Date Energy Balls
- Add nuts: Chopped Walnuts, Cashews, Pecans or Almonds
- Make these chocolate energy bites by adding in some Cocoa Powder or chocolate protein powder!
- Try other seeds! Hemp Seeds or chia seeds would be amazing in this!
- Use your favorite nut butter! You can also use cashew butter, almond butter or sunflower butter.
frequently asked questions
Can you freeze energy bites?
Yes! These no bake energy bites can be frozen in an airtight container for up to 3 months!
What can I use instead of flax seed?
Chia seed or hemp seed are a good alternative to ground flax seed. You can also substitute the flax for more oats or unsweetened shredded coconut!
Would Maple syrup work?
Yes! Maple syrup can be used in place of the honey!
What are the calories per serving?
This is a question that gets asked a lot. The calories are 200 for 1 serving (1 bite) I know that seems like a lot but the peanut butter in this really adds to the calories. These bites are perfect as a snack or pick me up or a quick breakfast before working out! Some readers have tried using powdered peanut butter to save on calories!
What do I do if its too dry?
If the mixture seems too dry try adding a splash of water. I do 1 tablespoon at a time. This helps bind everything together. Alternatively you can always add a scoop more of peanut butter, honey or maple syrup to bind everything up!
More healthy breakfast recipes to try!
- Chewy Chocolate Chip Granola Bars
- Oatmeal Smoothie
- Date Energy Balls
- Copycat Kind Granola Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip Granola
- Flourless Peanut Butter Banana Muffins
5 Ingredient Peanut Butter Energy Bites
- Combine all 5 ingredients in a medium bowl. Stir to combine. Place in the refrigerator for 15-30 minutes so they are easier to roll.
- Roll into 12 bites and store in the fridge for up to a week.