Crispy, crunchy, savory and oh so cheesy! These Parmesan Crusted Potatoes became a viral recipe that is actually worth trying. The parmesan butter makes an incredible crust on the potato that makes it packed with flavor and texture!
Want to save this recipe?
Enter your email below & we'll send it straight to your inbox! You will also receive other new recipes in your inbox weekly!
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
Seriously, what isn’t to like about cheesy potatoes? The concept here is basically baking the potatoes on top of a parmesan butter that turns into a crispy, golden crust on the potato. It results in a crunchy and savory potato that is seriously delicious!
I like to boil the potatoes first in some salt and baking soda in order to get the cooking process going and to remove extra starch, which results in extra crispy parmesan crusted potatoes. These are roasted at a high temperature to get that beautiful crust, so you want the potatoes to be done on the inside at the same time as they are done on the outside, so don’t skip that step!
Enjoy your parmesan crusted potatoes as a hearty breakfast with a fried egg or as a side dish along with any of your favorite proteins. Welcome to potato heaven!
- Yellow Potatoes: I used small, yellow potatoes for this recipe. You can also use Yukon gold but try to get small to medium-sized potatoes. The bigger the potatoes, the longer they will take to bake. You will want to cut them in half and score them as shown in the photo below!
- Salt & Baking Soda: The potatoes will be boiled in a pot of water with salt and baking soda. This will draw out some of the starch and start the cooking process, which results in beautifully golden brown potatoes.
- Butter: Butter gets combined with the cheese and seasonings to make an herb parmesan butter.
- Parmesan Cheese: You will want grated parmesan cheese for this recipe. You can use store-bought or grate your own!
- Seasonings: Onion powder, garlic powder, Italian seasoning and salt will season these potatoes up to perfection!
How to Make This Recipe
- Preheat & Boil Potatoes: Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in salt and baking soda. Carefully add in the potatoes and boil for minutes, drain and set aside.
- Make the Parmesan Butter: In a small bowl, combine the melted butter, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasonings.
- Assemble: Spread the butter mixture onto the bottom of a sheet pan. I find that an offset spatula works best for this. If you find it hard to spread, you can wet your spatula first. Place the potatoes cut side down on top of the parmesan butter.
- Bake & Serve: Bake for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is golden brown and crispy on the outside. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Tips for Success
- Use a sheet pan and not a baking dish! The sheet pan method results in crispier potatoes than cooking these in a baking dish.
- Use real parmesan! Don’t use the shelf stable parmesan, since it isn’t very good at melting! The more finely grated the cheese, the better. It will melt and caramelize on the sheet pan more easily.
- Place the potatoes cut side down! The key to getting the potatoes with a really crispy parmesan crust is to cook the potatoes cut side down. If you don’t place them cut side down, they will likely not develop the precious crust!
Honestly, you can eat parmesan crusted potatoes with just about anything! But here are a few of my favorite things to pair them with:
- Easy Lemon Chicken
- Oven Fried Chicken
- Air Fryer Salmon
- Skirt Steak with Chimichurri Sauce
- Tuscan Salmon
Frequently Asked Questions
What potatoes are best to use when roasting?
For this recipe, it is best to use smaller potatoes like small yellow potatoes or fingerling potatoes. Red potatoes tend to not get as crispy, but they would still be delicious!
How to store leftover parmesan crusted potatoes?
Store any leftover parmesan crusted potatoes in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can reheat in the microwave or pop them in the toaster oven or air fryer to get them crispy again!
More Potato Side Dishes to Try
- Best Scalloped Potatoes
- Loaded Mashed Potatoes
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Baked Potato Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Toast
Parmesan Crusted Potatoes
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add in salt and baking soda.Carefully add in the potatoes and boil for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl combine melted butter, parmesan cheese, garlic powder, onion powder and Italian seasonings.
- Spread the butter mixture onto the bottom of a sheet pan. I find that an offset spatula works best for this. If you find it hard to spread you can wet your spatula first. Place the potatoes cut side down on top of the parmesan butter.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until the potatoes are tender and the cheese is golden brown and crispy on the outside.Serve immediately and enjoy!