The BEST Fried Rice. This fried rice is loaded with veggies and only takes 20 minutes to make!
Vegetable Fried Rice has to be one of my all time favorite dishes. I love making Chinese food at home and fried rice is always the perfect accompaniment to my take out style dishes. I love serving this rice with my General Tso’s Chicken and my Slow Cooker Broccoli Beef.
It all starts off with cold day old rice. If you are like me and don’t always plan ahead make sure to cook your rice first and allow it time to completely cool in the fridge. Fried rice is best when it is made with cold rice. You can even cook the rice the night before. The longer the rice sits the better it tastes!
Next, I add lots of veggies to this rice. For flavor I add soy sauce and oyster sauce. I like to add sriracha to my fried rice for extra spice.
This fried rice takes just 20 minutes to throw together. Fried rice is a good way to work in any leftovers. You can substitute any vegetables you have on hand. You can also toss in chicken, bacon, pancetta or try my shrimp fried rice.
The BEST Fried Rice
- 2 tablespoons butter divided
- 3 eggs whisked
- 2 medium carrots small dice
- 1 small onion small dice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 cup frozen peas thawed
- 4 cups cooked and chilled rice (I either use white or brown rice)
- 3 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- sliced green onions for garnish if desired
- Heat 1 tablespoon of butter into a large skillet.
- Add the eggs and scramble until fully cooked. Remove them from the pan and set aside.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of butter into the pan.
- Add carrots and onion to the pan and cook until tender, 3-4 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute.
- Add in the cold rice and peas and sauté for 3-4 minutes. The rice should brown up a bit.
- Add the eggs back to the pan and stir in soy sauce, oyster sauce and sesame oil. Cook for 1-2 minutes to heat through.
- Serve immediately with green onions for garnish, if desired.