Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins. They are super easy to make and are perfectly tender and moist. Loaded with shredded carrots, walnuts and coconut oil. Perfect for breakfast or as a snack!
These Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins taste more like dessert than a healthy breakfast or snack! They are super moist and soft and are loaded with carrots and walnuts. To get super moist muffins I add in greek yogurt, apple sauce and coconut oil instead of butter.
I also added in white whole wheat flour to the muffins. You can always do a mix of whole wheat flour and regular flour if you prefer.
How to make Carrots Cake Muffins
These Carrot Cake Muffins could not be easier to make. Start by combining your wet ingredients in a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Next add in the dry ingredients. By hand fold in the carrots, oat and walnuts. Bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Allow the muffins to cool in the muffin tin on a cooling rack until completely cool. Run a butter knife around the edges of each muffin and remove.
Tips for making Carrot Cake Muffins
- Just like my carrot cake recipe I suggest shredding up the carrots in a food processor versus a grater. It saves a lot of time and is less of a mess.
- Raisins, shredded coconut, or flax seed would also be great additions to these muffins
- If you want to frost these muffins try my Cream Cheese Frosting. It goes perfectly with these muffins.
How to Freeze Carrot Cake Muffins
Place cooled muffins in an airtight container or ziplock bag. These Carrot Cake Muffins can be stored for up to 3 months in the fridge. To reheat I recommend microwaving them for 30 seconds.
Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup coconut oil melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups carrots shredded
- 1/4 cup old fashioned oats
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, set aside.
- Add the coconut oil and brown sugar to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix until combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Next add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition and scraping the sides. Mix in the vanilla. (The mixture will be a little lumpy don't worry)
- Add in the apple sauce and greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in two additions to the stand mixer and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
- By hand using a rubber spatula fold in the carrots, oats and walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean with just a few remaining crumbs.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the muffin tin on a cooling rack until completely cool. Run a butter knife around the edges of each muffin and remove.
Adapted from Little Spice Jar
Originally Published March 31st, 2017