Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins. Loaded with shredded carrots, walnuts and coconut oil. Perfect for breakfast or as a snack!
These Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins taste more like dessert than a healthy breakfast or snack! They are super moist and soft and are loaded with carrots and walnuts. To get super moist muffins I add in greek yogurt, apple sauce and coconut oil instead of butter.
I also added in white whole wheat flour to the muffins. You can always do a mix of whole wheat flour and regular flour if you prefer.
For crunch I added in walnuts and for some texture I added in old fashioned oats. Raisins, shredded coconut, or flax seed would also be great additions!
Just like my carrot cake recipe I suggest shredding up the carrots in a food processor versus a grater. It saves a lot of time and is less of a mess.
Healthy Carrot Cake Muffins
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 cup light brown sugar
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ cup unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ cup plain greek yogurt
- 2 cups carrots, shredded
- ¼ cup old fashioned oats
- ½ cup chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray two muffin tins with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl combine flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger, set aside.
- Add the coconut oil and brown sugar to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment and mix until combined, 1-2 minutes.
- Next add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition and scraping the sides. Mix in the vanilla. (The mixture will be a little lumpy don't worry)
- Add in the apple sauce and greek yogurt and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients in two additions to the stand mixer and mix just until combined. Do not overmix.
- By hand using a rubber spatula fold in the carrots, oats and walnuts.
- Pour into the prepared muffin tins.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until a tooth pick inserted comes out clean with just a few remaining crumbs.
- Allow the muffins to cool in the muffin tin on a cooling rack until completely cool. Run a butter knife around the edges of each muffin and remove.
Adapted from Little Spice Jar