Super Easy S’mores Bars. Cookie dough made with crushed up graham cracker then layered with milk chocolate and mini marshmallows. They taste just like S’mores! Perfect for a rainy day or any season, these S’mores Cookie Bars are ready in just 30 minutes!
S’mores are one of my all-time favorite desserts. These Smores Cookie Bars remind me of being around a campfire! They are gooey and loaded with tons of melted chocolate, as well as being the perfect combination of chewy, sweet, and buttery. They taste just like S’mores!
This indoor S’mores Bar recipe is perfect if the weather has turned, and making regular s’mores over a fire can’t happen as planned. Just whip these up and pop them in the oven!
This S’mores Bar recipe starts with an easy chocolate chip cookie dough. I spread 1/2 of the dough on the bottom of the baking pan and cook for 10 minutes. Next, I layer on the chocolate bars, mini marshmallows, and also the rest of the cookie dough. I place it back in the oven and bake for an additional 15-20 minutes. When they come out of the oven I like to place a few chocolate squares on top! So easy!
Cookie base and topping
- Graham Crackers: I crushed these into fine crumbs to add to the cookie batter base for that graham cracker taste!
- Sugar: Both brown and white for sweetness and flavor – just like a cookie!
- Butter: For an amazing buttery taste to the cookie layers.
- Egg: This binds everything together in the batter.
- Chocolate: You can use your favorite milk chocolate candy bar. I used the classic Hershey Bar, as you would in regular s’mores.
- Marshmallows: Mini marshmallows work best because they’re easier to spread out than large ones.
How to make S’mores Bars
- Preheat oven: Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Make cookie dough: Add butter and both sugars to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes. Add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined. Meanwhile in a medium bowl combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt.
- Bake: Press half the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Second layer: Remove from the oven but don’t turn the oven off. Layer the chocolate bars on top of the pan and sprinkle with marshmallows. Spread the remaining dough on top. (It’s ok if it does not cover the marshmallows)
- Continue baking: Place the bars back in the oven for 15 minutes or until just lightly browned and the bars look set.
- Cool and enjoy: Allow the bars to cool completely on a wire rack.
Tips for making S’mores Bars
- For a twist try adding peanut butter to the bars. Use my peanut butter cookie recipe as a base and layer with marshmallows and chocolate.
- Allow the bars to cool completely before slicing into them. They are very crumbly and hard to slice if you try to cut them when they are still warm.
- For easy cleanup and removal line the baking pan with foil. Make sure to spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
Can I use a different kind of chocolate?
Storage & Freezing
- Store: The bars can be kept at room temperature for 3 days in an airtight container.
- Freezing: You can also freeze the bars in an airtight container for up to 3 months!
Here are more delicious cookie bar recipes to try!
- Pecan Pie Bars
- Blueberry Crumb Bars
- Fudge Stuffed Cookie Bars
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Bars
- Nutella Swirled Cheesecake Bars
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup graham cracker crumbs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 1.5 ounce milk chocolate candy bars
- 3 cups mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease an 8 inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add butter and both sugars to a stand mixer with the paddle attachment. Beat until light and fluffy, 2-3 minutes.
- Add in egg and vanilla and mix until combined.
- Meanwhile in a medium bowl combine flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients to the stand mixer and mix just until combined.
- Press half the dough into the prepared pan and bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven but don't turn the oven off. Layer the chocolate bars ontop of the pan and sprinkle with marshmallows.
- Spread the remaining dough on top. (It's ok if it does not cover the marshmallows)
- Bake for 15 minutes or until just lightly browned and the bars look set. Allow the bars to cool completely on a wire rack before cutting. They are very crumbly and hard to cut if you do it while they are warm.
Adapted from Genius Kitchen
Originally published Aug 21, 2018